Painting Fireplace Screen Doors For Under $5

I’ll say right up front that this project has been a little hit or miss. I say this specifically because I’m anxious to redo the entire fireplace NOW. However, I need to keep in mind that this is just the first part of the project.

This is my current fireplace.

IMG_1644

This is my inspiration.

The first part of the project was to paint the fireplace screen doors. If you read this post, you know my feelings about brass. To catch you up…

…it’s UGLY!

IMG_1645

Since it’s a working fireplace, I picked up a can of High Heat Matte Black Spray Paint and started taping everything in sight.

IMG_1646

IMG_1648

Since I couldn’t be sure the black spray paint would match the existing black, I decided to paint all the black. So I only papered off the wall and tile, leaving all brass and black visible. This would also be a good time to sand the finish if necessary.

IMG_1651

After this, I took a short break to get my dog into the backyard. He jumped around in his kiddie pool and realized that he was now locked out.

“Mom, I love you…”

IMG_1655

“…please let me back inside.” Sorry Bubba!

IMG_1656

I left him out to dry while I inhaled paint fumes sprayed 2 coats of paint on the fireplace screen doors.

IMG_1659

The above picture is when I had already taken some of the paper off the glass to see how much brass you could still see, but the black was still drying. These doors were tricky to paint because there is brass on the outside and inside. I can’t figure out how to access the inside of the doors so there is still some brass visible. I popped the doors open so the paint didn’t dry them shut and left everything this way overnight.

Luckily everything evened out as it dried, but if you do this yourself with the spray paint, be very light handed. This paint was very tough to spray evenly and it was frustrating to say the least.

After 24 hours I took the rest of the paper and tape down.

IMG_1660

You may be wondering why one of the handles is a different color. It’s not really, they are both wood and unpainted. I removed the painters tape from one, and have left it on the other one so it’s easier to do some touch ups. Yes, I also got paint on the tile on the right. I figured this would happen, and even though it’s a bummer, I’m okay with it since tile removal is next on the list to be done.

One last look…Before.

IMG_1645

…and After (so much better)

IMG_1660

Next Steps for the project:

  • Remove Tile
  • Install step (not sure about this yet)
  • Install New Tile
  • Install Mantle and Surround

Painting the Fireplace Screen Doors Project Costs:

High Heat Matte Black Spray Paint: $4

Tape/Paper/Fans: $0 (already owned)

Total Cost: $4

SHOWING THE LOVE!!

Linking to: Remodelaholic, Addicted 2 Decorating, Keeping It Simple, Craft-O-Maniac, Savvy Southern Style, Blue Cricket Design, Very Merry Vintage Style, The Shabby Creek Cottage, Beyond The Picket Fence, The Crafty Nest, The Shabby Nest, French Country Cottage, Funky Junk Interiors

11 responses

  1. Pingback: Monthly Project Recap – September 2011 | Changing My Destiny

  2. Pingback: Candy Corn Vase & Holiday ‘Mantle’ | Changing My Destiny

  3. Pingback: I’m Feeling Inspired – Fireplace Inspiration | Changing My Destiny

  4. Pingback: Fireplace Progress – Tile Removal | Changing My Destiny

  5. Pingback: 2011 Recap | Changing My Destiny

  6. Pingback: The Big Reveal: Living Room Fireplace | Changing My Destiny

  7. Pingback: 2 Year Home Anniversary – A Look Back | Changing My Destiny

Join the Conversation!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s