Why am I telling you this? I get it, you probably don’t really care about my door/wreath issues.
Well, I finally found a solution and it cost less than $15 to build myself ($30 if you include a set of countersink drill bits that I needed anyway). Now I can hang all the holiday signs that I want and it won’t get in the way of the lovely wreaths.
I don’t have a picture off all the supplies like I usually do since I was kind of making this up as I went. However, I have it all priced out at the bottom of the post.
Visit your local lumbar yard and pick up some basic lumber. I bought the cheapest stuff they had since I knew I would be priming and painting it later. If I had been staining the post, I probably would have picked something else.
- 4 x 4 x 8 (qty: 1)
- 1 x 6 x 6 (qty: 1)
- 1 x 8 x 6 (qty: 1)
Like I’ve done with other projects, I sweet talked my dad into making the major cuts for me. He has all the tools in his garage and can make them so quickly. There are two sets in the picture, because I made a post for my mom. Both posts came from the same boards so we were able to split the costs.
Your exact measurements can vary so don’t worry about screwing it up. We cut my moms post at 3 feet and mine at 3.5 feet.
For the smaller boards, we just cut off 4 squares in each size.
One thing I did need to buy was a Countersink Set (from Lowes). Now I can countersink all the stuff I want; even if I were to break off a drill bit into the wood the first time I used it. Not that I did that.
…ummm moving on.
I took the smaller square and countersinked (is that a word?) 3 screws. [the fourth contains the already mentioned broken drill bit].
I did this on both ends. Usually you would want to fill these holes, but in this case they will be covered with the larger square so you’ll never see them.
Attach the larger square using nails. I used 2 inch finishing nails and then set them.
Fill all nail holes with wood filer.
Then I filled all the other holes, knots, and cracks with wood filler and sanded the crap out of that thing!
Prime the post. I used some leftover interior Kilz since it’s what I had on hand. It took 2 coats on each posts.
Next up, PAINT! I used some leftover interior Satin paint that I had on hand. While the post will be outside, it is shielded from rain, etc. So I wasn’t concerned about having exterior paint or Poly on it.
Each post needed 2 coats.
After the final coat was dry, I added basic black robe hooks. Mine has two and my Mom’s will have just the top hook since her post is shorter.
(I took the sticker off the pumpkin after I took the picture)
Very easy and so much fun. It can be left out all year round and I can just change the decor with the holidays/seasons. I already have a very cute setup planned for Christmas.
Project Cost Breakdown (for 1 post) :
4 x 4 x 8 (Home Depot) = $4
1 x 6 x 6 (Home Depot) = $2
1 x 8 x 6 (Home Depot) = $3
Countersink Set (Lowes) = $14
Black Robe Hook (2) = $5
Finishing Nails/Hammer/Drill/Saw/Sander (Already Owned) = $0
Wood Filler/Primer/Paint (Already Owned) = $0
Halloween Sign (DIY tutorial here) = $0 [the Halloween sign was made out of leftover wood from this door post project!]
Total Project Cost: $28
It would have cost under $15 if I didn’t need to buy the Countersink set, but that will come in handy for future projects. A great investment to my tool kit.
SHOWING THE LOVE:
Linking To: Between Naps On The Porch, Craft-O-Maniac, The Girl Creative, Making the World Cuter, Today’s Creative Blog, Not JUST A Housewife, Ginger Snap Crafts, Blue Cricket Design, Very Merry Vintage Style, Savvy Southern Style, The Shabby Creek Cottage, Beyond The Picket Fence, The ArtsyGirl Connection, The Crafty Nest, Addicted 2 Decorating, The Shabby Nest, Remodelaholic, French Country Cottage, Dear Creatives, Ohh Baby Designs, The Not So Functional Housewife