I’ve always thought that Toffee was a complicated treat. The buttery crisps always boggled my mind and I often left it to the professionals. However, toffee is one of those desserts that is very simple and tastes amazing. It also lends itself to an incredible array of options. You could change the types of chocolate, change the type of nuts, or go au natural and skip the toppings all together.
I love this stuff; although, my teeth appreciate it if I only torture them once every 12 months. So I will likely only make this during the holidays.
Dark Chocolate Pistachio Toffee
2 Cups Unsalted Butter
2 Cups White Sugar
1 teaspoon Salt
10 oz Dark Chocolate Chips
3/4 Cup Pistachio Nuts, Chopped
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- In a heavy bottom stock pan, melt the Butter and Sugar over medium heat. The first batch I did separated and was ruined. I stirred constantly during the second batch to ensure that the sugar and butter did not separate.
- Using a Candy Thermometer, continue cooking the butter/sugar mix until the temperature hits 285 degrees and is a dark amber color.
- Once the candy hits the right temperature, turn off the heat and CAREFULLY pour onto the lined baking sheet.
- While the toffee cools, chop the pistachios into pieces. It’s best if you chop them unevenly as it works great to have a mix of fine powder and large chunks. Now is also a good time to melt the chocolate over a double boiler.
- Once the toffee is room temperature, blot any oil/butter residue off the top with a paper towel, or lint free towel. This will ensure that the chocolate sticks to the toffee.
- Pour the chocolate on top of the the toffee and spread to cover. While the chocolate is still wet, sprinkle the pistachios over the top. I used a spatula sprayed with cooking spray to softly pat the nuts into the chocolate to ensure they didn’t fall off.
- Once the chocolate is set, you can break the toffee into pieces. It makes a great dessert for company (or for yourself) and it wraps up well in case you want to give a batch as a gift.
Linking To: Craft-O-Maniac, The Girl Creative, Everything Under the Moon, Ginger Snap Crafts, Blue Cricket Design, Very Merry Vintage Style, Savvy Southern Style, The Shabby Creek Cottage, Beyond The Picket Fence, The Artsy Girl Connection, The Crafty Nest, Addicted 2 Decorating, The Shabby Nest, Dear Creatives, Ohh Baby! Designs, The Not So Functional Housewife, Funky Junk Interiors, Positively Splendid