Wow…The last part of the week really got away from me, hope everyone is having a great weekend so far!
I am ridiculously excited about this project and I meant to have it up on Thursday but I ended up working late on Thursday/Friday. I also had a little trouble writing up this post because every time I starting writing about this project, I just sounded like a giddy little kid over a calendar. In the end, Logic me says “don’t be so excited about a calendar, people will think you’re weird!” and Authentic me says “THIS IS AWESOME!”.
I like Authentic me better.
Every year I go on the hunt for a fun new calendar for the office. I purchased this one a few years back at Anthropologie, and loved it. It sparked an admiration for letterpress calendars and I spend a lot of time looking for my favorite each year.
About 6 months ago I saw this picture on Pinterest and was immediately smitten. I poured over the original DIY post at Design Sponge and immediately started planning my own calendar idea for the new year. With this in mind, I thought I could marry this daily calendar idea with my love for the smaller letterpress calendars.
It was all over for me when I found the amazing letterpress calendar over at Letterpress Calendar. I first saw their 2011 calendar after it had been released so I waited earnestly for the 2012 version.
This is the 2011 version I first fell head over heels for. I still wish I could get a copy, it would look lovely framed.
The colors…the design… ::swoon::
So while I didn’t get my hands on the 2011 version, I am the proud owner of this beauty.
Only 500 are made so it feels extra special to me. My little piece of calendar art.
Now that I had the calendar I needed a box. Using some 1 x 4 scrap wood, I built a simple wood box that fit the calendar. My dad gave me his old band saw a few weeks back and it made quick work of the scrap wood. I cut, built and sanded the box in about 20 minutes. It’s held together with nails, no glue. Nothing too fancy.
I love the piece on the bottom, gives it a worn feel.
I also beat it up a little bit since my hope was to create a box that looked rustic, worn…and, well loved.
After the sanding was done, I stained it using Rust-Oleum Kona and then sprayed it with a few thin coats of Satin finish poly.
Due to the weather it took about 24 hours to fully dry so in the meantime I went to work on the individual day cards. Using a standard date stamp from Staples, I stamped each 4 x 6 index card with the day in the upper right hand corner. The year was stamped on the first line of the left side.
Then came the fun part of putting it all together. I used the letterpress calendar as my monthly dividers, specifically laying them on their side so that the month is showing in the upper left hand corner. I’ll apologize now for the multitude of pictures. I may have taken more of this calendar than I have of my
*told you…I’m obsessed!
Since the fit is a little tight to sort through the days, after I fill in the item for that day, I move the card to the back. It will rotate all year long.
I’ve also started stamping the next year on each card after my note so that it’s ready for next year.
Ok, I’ll stop the calendar porn now. I can’t wait to look back at this year after year to see a daily diary of life.